It is the policy of One Maryland: Inter-County Broadband Network (ICBN) and Howard County to encourage participation in the Equal Business Opportunity (EBO) Program for minority-owned businesses, women-owned businesses and businesses owned by disabled persons.
Some useful links:
- MBE General Information
- EBO Prime and Subcontracting Information
- Bidder Application and Equal Business Opportunity Self-Certification Application: Howard County also accepts EBO certifications issued by the Maryland Department of Transportation and the City of Baltimore.
Howard County Code – Sec. 4.122. Equal business opportunity program.
(a) Purpose. The purpose of these provisions is to foster overall equity and fairness to all citizens in relation to business enterprises conducting business with the County.
(b) Adoption of Equal Opportunity Business Program. Pursuant to subsections 4.103(d) and (e) of this subtitle, the County Purchasing Agent shall develop and implement an Equal Business Opportunity Program, subject to the approval of the County Executive and of the County Council, by resolution. The County Purchasing Agent shall seek the input of the Equal Business Opportunity Commission in the development of the program.
(c) Elements of the Equal Business Opportunity Program. The Equal Business Opportunity Program shall include, but is not limited to, the following elements:
- Goals. Reasonable equal business opportunity participation goals for each category of certified business firms to include provisions for periodic review and update of such goals.
- Methods for providing equal business opportunity. Structuring of the procurement process so that business opportunities are provided to minority business enterprises, woman business enterprises and disabled business enterprises through the mechanisms of subcontracting, direct award of contracts and fostering of joint ventures.
- Notification of County’s equal business opportunity goals. Procedures for notifying the public and respondents to County solicitations of the County’s equal business opportunity goals.
- Certification. Certification of minority business enterprises, woman business enterprises and disabled business enterprises. The program shall provide for the Equal Business Opportunity Commission, established under the provisions of subtitle 6 of this title, to undertake the certification process on behalf of the County, pursuant to criteria and procedures set forth in the program.
- Monitoring contract execution. Procedures for monitoring contract execution of firms awarded contracts under these provisions.
- Data. Procedures for collecting and maintaining statistical data which measure the effectiveness of the Equal Business Opportunity Program.
- Waiver of subcontracting goals. Procedures for approving a waiver of a portion of or all of the subcontracting goals established for minority business enterprises, woman business enterprises or disabled business enterprises in any contract where a participation goal exists.
- Enforcement. Adequate measures for enforcement of Equal Business Opportunity Program provisions.
(C.B. 78, 1993; C.B. 39, 1994; C.B. 6, 2003, §§ 1, 2; C.B. 7, 2008, § 3)
If you have any additional questions, please contact Howard County Purchasing Administrator Darla Herbold: firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-313-6370